Saturday, February 28, 2009

Clearly I spoke too soon!

I haven't blogged for a while because I was so damn sick. By Wednesday I was sure that I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. The nausea had been minimal and for that I was grateful. But I wasn't at all prepared for what was waiting around the corner.

When my nurse gave me my white blood cell injection she told me that I may feel a little achy ... something similar to being an old lady. I thought to myself .... this I can handle ... what's a little achy. Well, little it was not! By Wednesday night, I was contemplating suicide. Every bone in my body was killing me! I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep, drink, eat, or walk. I tossed and turned all night, finally switching beds with Mikeala at 3:40 a.m. I thought maybe if I listened to a mediation CD all my troubles would disappear. No such luck!

By 9:00 a.m. Thursday, I paged my nurse. My pain was unbearable and had now become, in my opinion, a medical emergency. When she called me back she wasn't at all surprised about my pain ... apparently this is a normal side effect with the injection ... because ... get this ... my bone marrow is being stretched. Stretched! Well, that explains a thing or two. She recommended that I take regular Tylenol for the pain and if that didn't work they'd bumped it up to Tylenol 3. Thankfully, the Tylenol worked.

Once the pain was under control, I was able to get some sleep, think rationally, and stop crying. Today, was the first day that I actually made it out of bed. So in honour of making it down the stairs I washed all my floors!

3 comments:

  1. God forbid you should do something, yanno, easy. :o)

    Catch ya next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better today... and that you're not cleaning the house!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still thinking of you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete