Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Climbing up the mountain

Well, round two is over ... thank God that's done. Yesterday went well but the chemo seemed to take forever. The last time I went the red devil drug ran through the IV in about 15 mins this time it was more like 35 mins. According to the nurses, it was dripping wonderfully and they didn't want to adjust it. So who am I to argue?

In all the commotion of getting the IV and prescriptions, I had a melt down for all to see. Last week, the melt down took place in a lovely bathroom stall at the Cancer Centre. My emotions, particularly fear, appear and disappear at any given time. At times, all the appointments, needles, pills, nausea, fatigue, etc. etc. get the best of me. And, yesterday was no different!

We wrapped things up at the hospital around 5:15 p.m. and started to make our way home. So far, our routine has been pretty much the same ... mom comes with me and then we head to my house, dad comes by ... and then everybody hangs out with me until I'm feeling OK. Last night everyone stayed later since the nurse was visiting to give me hydration. She came by around 8:30 p.m., set everything up, got the IV running without a problem, showed me how to unhook the tubing, and then offered me a shot for nausea. I gladly accepted ... but holy mother God it hurt like a SOB. There was a little swearing involved!

I'm expecting another visit today for hydration and the white blood cell count injection. I'm opting for the shot in my butt and not in my arm ... hopefully it will hurt less!

So far the hydration seems to be working for the nausea. I feel pretty good ... tired and a little nauseous but totally manageable. I've only been able to eat a few soda crackers ... Ginger Ale has become my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment