Friday, February 13, 2009

Desire to shop is now gone!

Who knew that bra shopping could be so fun? Two bras, one prosthesis, and one tank top for only $600. My experience was so great that the price didn't even bother me.

On Wednesday in between my appointments, I decided to check out Kelly's Mastectomy Boutique. The shop was beautiful. It is large, spacious, and decorated in warm colours. Diane, the owner, spent at least an hour with me. She was fantastic! We laughed, we cried, and then hugged goodbye.

Diane's inspiration for the shop was her sister-in-law Kelly. Kelly was a young mother and wife when she was diagnosed with BC. She was only 31 years old. After a strong and courageous battled Kelly passed away two years later. Diane and several of her siblings got tattoos in Kelly's honour - the Chinese symbols of strength and courage with the breast cancer logo. I was so moved by Kelly's story that I was crying in no time.

Diane and I spoke of the "journey" and the "lessons" we are taught by having breast cancer. I am still shocked at the love and support I get from total strangers. Take for example my support group, I don't know these women and they don't know me - yet we truly care about each other. And, when we wish each other well, we really mean it. I feel totally comfortable sharing my biggest fears with these women because I know they know how I feel.

Before I left, Diane asked if I would be interested in modelling the merchandise. I hesitated ... and then decided ... what the heck ... you only live once. Plus, it's the first and probably the last time I'll be asked to model lingerie. I think it could be fun ...

5 comments:

  1. You'll make a great model! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You in lingerie ! We'd better warn the men out there... and the male tweens ! Good God girl the line up will be 10 miles long with all those drooling, clawing, heavy breathing men.... can I go too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it!!! You've been going to gym faithfully most of your life... this is totally the payoff you been looking for! You are going to look like one HOT MAMA, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ... all those hours at the gym and the running can finally show off that toned body of yours (and you look pretty darn good from the neck up too :o)

    Sounds fun and uplifting. Be sure to share details of how, where and when.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tu es tellement belle... tu devrais le faire.

    ReplyDelete