Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dilemma imminent

According to the BC ladies that have come before me, I am expected to lose my hair 14 days after me first chemo treatment. And, if I do the math that's Monday - Monday, February 16th - Family Day! This is terribly inconvenient ... especially considering everything will be closed!

I've been preparing for this day since long before my treatments started. I'm ready. I've bought the wig, shampoo and conditioner, scalp treatment, scarfs, and hats. I'm totally organized. There's just one little problem .... I'm supposed to call the hairdresser as soon as my hair starts to fall out so that she can shave my head, give me a scalp treatment and massage, and fit my wig. How in the world am I going to do that with Family Day in the way?

The BC ladies have advised me not to wait. Apparently our hair falls out in clumps and the whole experience can be quite traumatizing. One of the signs of hair loss is a tingly scalp. Got it! My scalp is achy and it's as though I can feel each strand of hair. I know my days are numbered!

Hair loss has been one of my biggest fears. I'm a girl and don't really want to be bald ...especially since I've been trying to grow my hair for the last 6 months. One of my girlfriend suggested that maybe I should shave my head before it starts to fall out. It's a great idea .... for someone else! I know that I'm going to lose my hair ... but what if I don't? What if I'm that one in a million chemo patients ... taking the red devil (drug that causes hair loss) ... that doesn't lose their hair. I know that it's extremely unlikely but I just have to wait until it falls out a little before taking the plunge.

3 comments:

  1. Tracey, it's not Family Day in Quebec. Maybe you could find a hairdresser on the other side of the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... We should break into Amir's shop and go nuts with all the products, hair cut, etc! How FUN would that be ! This may not mean much, but Tracey, you have such a beautiful face. It's not your hair that makes you. Its your eyes and that goddam perfect nose of yours. Let me know if you want company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your inner glow that makes you beautiful, Tracey, not your hair. THat glow doesn't change, even when you dye, straighten, curl, grow or cut your locks. It'll be there on Tuesday, and it'll be there when your hair grows back.

    ReplyDelete