Friday, February 6, 2009

Bye bye Vera

Until now, I've always been a big fan of scents whether it be mango body butter or my beloved Vera Wang perfume. However since getting chemo, my sense of smell has come to life ... big time.

Based on the Pychology course I took last semester at U of O, our most powerful sense is "sight" and if two of our senses were to compete "sight" would always win! Well, I'm here to tell you a different story.

There must be something in my chemo cocktail (image ... a cocktail ... I seem to remember cocktails as being yummy!) that has tripped off my smell sensory. I smell everything and everything smells yucky.

The rules of the game have changed in our house. Mikeala now has to put on her Channel perfume outside, I can no longer feed the cat, making Lilly's food is touch and go, and God forbide that I smell cigarette smoke .... I may puke on the spot.

This heightened sense of smell isn't just for everyone around me ... it's for me too! I normally use Old Spice liquid soap in the shower, followed up with some lime coconut body butter, gel and hairspray (this will not be an issue soon), and then perfume. Everything I own is scented! So let me get this straight, not only does chemo make me sick ... it's also costs me money!

On a more positive note, I met with my trainer yesterday and our session was a success. Based on the study group that I'm in, my workouts are pretty short. I'm only required to do 22 minutes of cardio three times a week and my heart rate must be in the "fat burning" zone. Since 22 minutes isn't very challenging, not only am I going to the gym today but I'm also going to attend a Step class with my other BC-lady friends.

4 comments:

  1. You rock! All I am is pregnant, and that's enough to keep me away from the gymm... og wait, maybe that's just my lazy streak coming through! I have been following your blog and am so impressed that you are posting everyday, sometimes twice, you're working out... all these things, while you take on chemo. You absolutely rock!
    (Dawna, aka....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...hey...You go girl with those exercises! You'de even be doing more exercise than me (even with being an aerobic instructor)!! Take care Trace & have a great weekend! Love Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still chocked that you haven't thrown out the trainer and taken over ! What's taking you so long!?xox Joce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracy.....I love your hair episode. Coming from a girl with very short hair, and have considered many times, shaving my head. I love my short short hair. If nothing else, it's incredibly freeing. I'm sending you power girl, in my thoughts and prayers. JB sends his love and big hugs. Linda xo

    ReplyDelete