Thursday, May 7, 2009

How much can one household endure ... really?!

I have definitely had my share of meltdowns since being diagnosed with breast cancer last November but overall I think my spirits have been relatively positive (although my sister would disagree). Even when filled with fear, I have continued to put one foot in front of the other. And, there's been a lot of reasons to be fearful. I definitely have not sailed through chemo. In addition to dealing with the regular side effects, I have had to deal with some weirder ones too (blot clot) ... as Dr. Y said last week "Tracey has thrown us some curb balls". Yeah someone can relate!

It seems that every week it's something. And, this week is no different! A couple of days ago I noticed two painful lumps in my groin area. I suspect that it's swollen lymph nodes ... which means ... I'm trying to fight off something. LOVELY! I feel pretty good ... no fever, no symptoms of a cold or flu, just really really tired (another side effect). And, on top of that my face is super red and dry and there are a couple of area near my moth where it looks like I have a burn. GREAT now it's affecting my face!! So I paged my nurse yesterday and reported my new issues, she promised to get back to me after chatting with Dr. Y. No call back! I know they're busy but for the love of God ... call me back so that I can put it out of my mind and get some bloody rest!

Just to make matters worse ... yesterday Mikeala was injured in her third rugby game. Third game ... second injury ... this one worse than the first. So it was off to CHEO. Well, as you can image CHEO is packed and the nurse advised me not to stay. I reluctantly left Mik there with a couple of team mates ... but by the time I got home I was so filled with guilt ... I had a meltdown and pretty much turned around I picked her up again. It's an awful feeling to think that you're not able to take care of your kid. It's in these moments I wish I had a husband! So off we go to a clinic in Orleans. Since I suspect we'll be there for the long haul, I pack all my injection stuff.

We finally see the Dr. and it looks like Mikeala has sprained her knee and the muscle behind it. So it's Tylenol 2s, rest, and a referral to a Sports Medicine clinic. Her rugby career is not over but she's definitely on the side lines for a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tracey ... so much has happened to you and Mikeala this week that things are bound to get better next week ... I m keeping my fingers crossed and thinking good vibes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you two need to go for a mani/pedi. You'd both feel better. There's a place on Laurier near CBSA that's open on Saturdays and is relatively cheap!

    ReplyDelete