Monday, April 6, 2009

Packing ....

When I think of packing, I think of a vacation, road trip, picnic, bike ride, trip to the beach, or maybe even a hike at Tremblant. Tonight, well actually tomorrow (cause I am the Queen of procrastination!) I will be packing for chemo.

Tomorrow I will be having my fourth chemo treatment. This treatment is slightly different from the last three. My cocktail has changed. I will be getting a couple of new drugs ... Taxotere and Herceptin. Dr. Y told me that my chemo treatment will last five hours ... which really means six hours. And because there's a risk of having an allergic reaction to the meds, I will be under observation for most of my time at the Cancer Clinic. I'm also taking steroids for a couple of days ... apparently this helps prevent an allergic reaction.

Taxotere has different side effects ... apparently the nausea is much less (we like this one), but the bone pain is much worse (not so good considering the white blood shot already has this side effect covered!). Taxotere can also make your fingers and toes numb ... so while the drug is being administered, I will have ice gloves on my hands and ice packs on my feet.

So what am I packing for a five to six hour visit at the Cancer Clinic you ask. Well, here's what I've come up with so far:
  1. A blanket ... I can't stand being cold
  2. My portable DVD player
  3. LOST (Season II)
  4. Ear phones x 2 (a pair for me and a pair for mom)
  5. Book
  6. Smutty mags
  7. Water (must stay hydrated)
  8. Snacks ... probably crackers

No comments:

Post a Comment