Saturday, April 11, 2009

Who knew?

Breast cancer is a strange disease. On one hand is an extremely frightening and painful journey filled with uncertainties and on the other hand it takes you down a path overflowing with love, gifts, and spiritual awakenings.

This week, like most of my first week's of chemo, has been particularly difficult. I have been suffering with extreme bone pain for four days. I've been trying to manage the pain with Tylenol 2 and morphine but nothing seems to be taking the edge off. In addition to the pain bone, my stomach is reacting badly to all the meds. And, I haven't had a good night sleep in days!

Normally I would be really stoked about Easter weekend ... there's nothing I love more than to cook a big turkey dinner and ang out with family and friends. However this year, my family is at the cottage and Mikeala is working. Knowing that it's probably not a good idea that I be alone for four days, Mike offered to put Lilly, Mikeala and I up for the weekend. Yahoo my own personal nurse for a weekend!

I don't think he quite knew what he was in for! I've pretty much taken over his bed, TV, and snacks. Last night the pain was off the chart. I had taken my morphine pills at 1:00 a.m. and waited and waited for them to kick in ... but nothing. I finally woke Mike up at 5:00 a.m. crying. I had had enough! was ready to head to the hospital for something a little stronger than morphine ... if that even exists. One problem ... Mikeala had to be at work for 9:00 a.m. and based on my last visit to emergency I knew we wouldn't be back in time. So we decided to wait. Mike rubbed my back until I fell asleep and by the Grace of God I slept for two hours.

Mike and I have always had a weird relationship but when push come to shove he's always got my back. I'm so grateful that he's taking care of me this weekend. Who knew ex's could be so great?!

2 comments:

  1. Mike is great with you because you obviously mean quite a lot to him (and to a whole bunch of other people, I might add!). Keep strong and I hope that Easter Sunday brings you a bit more respite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's when you know who your friends are. When in need - call me lovey.

    ReplyDelete