Wednesday, April 15, 2009

ENOUGH!!

I'm done! That's it ... no more please! If you're offended by profanity ... you may wish to skip right over this entry. I make no guarantees.

I'm sick and tired of BC and chemotherapy. Well, more specifically the side effects from chemo! If there's a side effect to be had ... I've had it! So far my grocery list of side effects have been:

  • Nausea - check
  • Fatigue - check
  • Bone pain - check check check
  • Insomnia - check
  • Hair loss - check
  • Sore veins - check
  • Diarrhea - check
  • Constipation - check
  • Nose bleeds - check
  • Thrush - check
  • Weight gain - mini check ... I've gain 4 to 5 pounds
  • and ... now for the side effect of all side effects ....

I now have a blood clot in my arm. Lovely ... just what I always wanted! For the last couple of days, my "good arm" has been sore and red. It looks like I had a really defined bicep ... NOT! So yesterday I called Dr. Y's nurse to discuss my latest ailment. She was stumped! She promised to check with Dr. Y and get back to me. But I didn't heard from her. So I continued on with my day and night.

As luck would have it, last night was our Stepping Stones get together. So after sharing war stories about Taxotere, aka the BEAST, I stripped down to get some views on my arm! And, the consensus was ... see the Dr. cause it's probably a blood clot (which is exactly what I thought it was too). Needless to say I didn't sleep very well. I kept thinking that I was going to die ... the blood clot would travel ... and that would be it for me. Oh, did I mention the clot is on the left side ... you know where your heart it!

The telephone lines at the Cancer Clinic don't open til 9:00 a.m. ... so I waited and waited. And at 8:00 a.m. my nurse called asking me to come into the hospital as Dr. Y wanted to see my arm. And, sure enough ... blood clot ... I went for an ultrasound to confirm his suspicions ... and yep ... blood clot in my left arm. Lovely just ... effing lovely!

The treatment for a blood clot is blood thinners ... sounds simple enough ... NOPE! Starting today until the end of my chemo treatments I will have to have an daily injection in my belly. Now, this means that at some point and time I am going to have to learn to give myself the injection. Just to recap ... I'm scared to death of needles!

So all and all it was a shitty day but to lightened things up ... Mik and I are going to an all you can eat sushi restaurant for dinner!

5 comments:

  1. You missed another important grocery list:
    - strength: check
    - feistiness: check
    - inner and outer beauty: check
    - selflessness: check
    - resilience: check
    - optimism (never mind the occasional dips): check
    - endurance: check
    - stamina (as in washing your floors!!): check

    You're doing good, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey... I like Roseline's checklist! Keep on being positive. I can 'hear' it in your blogs. Like Roseline said "feistiness". Hope you enjoyed the sushi! Love Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. I really appreciate your positive comments. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRING ON THE SUSHI!
    That effing sucks about the blood clot - seriously, who does the big guy think he's dealing with by giving you a blood clot. Hopefully there is silver lining behind it... maybe you will meet some HOT male nurse wearing some sweet cologne, while you are getting these injections, wouldn't that be nice.. (I will pray for that!!!).

    Hang in there... I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for that Check List - we can add to that "en masse". Let us know if you get that hot male nurse !

    ReplyDelete