Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New tattoo?

People who know me know that I am a fan of body art and even sport a few tattoos of my own. But today I am getting a different of kind of tattoo. They won't be done by a dope-smoking, tattoo-covered guy on Rideau Street but by a radiation technician.

This afternoon the Cancer Centre doctors and technicians are getting my body ready for radiation. The technician will have to scan and "mark" me (aka tattoo) so that they know exactly where the radiation beams should hit. From what I understand I will be zapped in three different locations. The decision for the three zaps is based on the location of my tumours and the fact that the lymph nodes tested positive for cancer. Radiation makes me a bit nervous. Especially when Dr. M told me that a portion of my lung may be affected and that I may develop lymphedema as a result of the treatments.

The side effects of radiation seem quite manageable - tight red skin and fatigue. Part of the fatigue comes from travelling to the hospital everyday and from my body trying to repair itself. I have totally embraced afternoon naps!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for continuing to write Tracey - I love the fact that I can keep up with what's going on (you certainly are keeping up :) Take care and happy napping! Love Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt that you will get through the round of radiation with as much strength and dignity as you showed through the round of chemo. You kick ass, Tracey! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Lynn's comments-- take care! And yes, NAPS RULE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracey - Are you going to turn these tattoos into something beautiful when this is over? You have some great tats - these dots could be the start of something awesome!

    ReplyDelete